Updated: Thanks for coming out to see WordPress Development at PHP Quebec. If you there is something in particular you would like me to present on WP at PHP Quebec, comment your ideas here.
Original Post Nov 3rd
I will be presenting at PHP Quebec this month, Thursday Nov 5th at around 830pm, looking at how WordPress uses its own brand of PHP for custom plugins, themes, and backend design. I will walk through the basic theme architecture using template tags and understanding how they relate to PHP and how to customize and extend them. I will also show you how you can convert a basic PHP function into a plugin. Finally, I will introduce basic/intermediate customization of the dashboard, how to create custom panels, login screens, etc.
In case I run out of time, or miss a few things, here is a list of resources to get you started or answer any questions you have. I will also update this post with my slides after the presentation. Also, feel free to check out some of my other presentations from past events.
- Official WordPress Theme Architecture Outline and Cheat Sheet
- WordPress Cheat Sheet by Andy Wibbels (pdf)
- HeadZoo WordPress Plugin API Cheatsheet (png)
- HeadZoo WordPress Themes Cheatsheet
- Diary of a Rock Star – WordPress Cheat Sheet
- Kahi’s WordPress Notes – WordPress Cheat Sheets Summarized
- Simplified AJAX For WordPress Plugin Developers using Jquery
- “Desenvolvendo Plugins para WordPress” by Rafael Dohms (in Brazilian Portuguese)
- 12 part “How to Write a WordPress Plugin” at DevLounge.net by Ronald Huereca (PDF)
- How to create WordPress Plugin from a scratch
- Using AJAX with your WordPress Plugin, also at DevLounce.net
- How to Write a Simple WordPress Plugin at ATD